I have visited over 10 countries in the past 2 years and I have to say that safety is something to consider no matter where you go and whether you travel alone or in a group. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe on your next adventure.
- Research the city you are staying in and choose your accommodations accordingly.
- Read the reviews on Tripadvisor and other forums to see what people have said about the area. I sometimes even look at wikipedia to get an idea about the neighborhood.
- If you are traveling abroad, have a photocopy of your passport with you and leave your passport in your hotel room’s safe. Most hotels also take a copy of your ID and keep it for their records, so that’s helpful too.
- Ask the hotel staff about walking in the area at night.
- Don’t travel with all of your cash on you. Place some cash on your person, in your handbag and in your hotel room’s safe. If you lose cash, you will still have enough to get you through the remainder of your trip.
- Travel with a credit card. In some countries, like Uruguay, you actually save 22% when you dine at restaurants. A credit card also helps track your steps, it has insurance if you lose it, and it minimizes the amount of cash to carry.
- If you are traveling with a mini knapsack, wear it facing your front and not on your back.
- If you take your jacket off, make sure there is no money in the pocket of your jacket.
- When using a bank machine, be aware of your surroundings. Expert thieves are waiting to watch your every move, so that when you get distracted you become a perfect target to rob.
- Be careful about asking people to take photos of you. The moment you give your camera or phone to a stranger, they could easily run off with it. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
- If you are traveling alone, it is a good idea to let someone know where you are going and when you return.
- Use Uber wherever possible. Not only is the driver trackable, but if he/she doesn’t speak English you can still be sure that you are getting to your destination. You also can’t get ripped off.
Comment with your useful tips to safe when you travel.