Madrid is magnificent. I visited during this past Christmas break and absolutely loved the charm the city has to offer and I can see myself visiting again. Madrid has something for everyone from art and culture to tapas to beautiful parks. Depending how you choose to spend your time in the historical city, you will find yourself losing sense of the time and before you know it the day is gone. Have no worries, things take on another fun vibe right through the night. You can check out live music, flamenco shows, and eat until like 2 a.m. I tend to be one that turns in pretty early, so the latest I was out was about 12:30 a.m., but I heard that you can easily attend a flamenco show as late as 4 am within the local scene.
I want to give you my 5 top reasons to love Madrid and this is why I will find myself visiting again in the future.
- Madrid is a metropolitan city! There is excitement the moment you enter the city and if you don’t speak Spanish, have no worries….most people speak English too.
- The architecture is gorgeous and no matter where you are, you find yourself surrounded by history.
- It is a walk-able city with and excellent metro system, which includes a route to and from the airport for 5 Euros.
- There is an incredible charm in this city, with its perfectly manicured parks. I took a walk through the most popular, Buen Retiro. This park, which belonged to the Spanish Monarchy until the late 19th century, is also known as El Retiro Park and apparently a trip to Madrid is not complete without a visit here.
- Spanish fashion is hot! I remember when I first visited Spain in 2007 and bought my favorite pair of jeans from Mango. A few years later Mango started opening stores across North America. If you want to refresh your wardrobe this is the place to do it
This article is not complete without a mention of churros and chocolate. I loved the energy in this cute busy little cafe called Los Nuevos Alpes. It is across from the Mercado Market on Calle Mayor, 54, 28013 Madrid, Spain.